Tuesday, June 29, 2010

{Summer Camp}

When I was a kid, summer camp was never an affordable option for my family. My sister and I spent many summer days in the hot heat of the San Juaquin Valley, playing down the street with neighbors all day until dark. If we were lucky, we would be invited to take a swim over at a friends house who had a swimming pool or we would go to the community pool. Most of the time we just turned on the sprinklers. I secretly dreamed up getting to go to an all week summer camp. The only hint I got of what this may be like was in some movies. Kids staying in cabins with counselors, having campfires, and singing cum bah yah etc. Corny as it looked and sounded, I wanted to go. I wanted to eat yucky camp food and go on hikes and be free of my parents for a week or more. So it's a dream come true to live this vicariously through my children. My oldest got to go an all week over night camp three years ago and absolutely loved it! This summer it was my middle son's turn. I don't think he slept a wink the night before he was just so excited. Why wouldn't he be? I mean 6 nights and 5 full days away from nagging parents and the added bonus of being away with your 2 best buddies sounds like a blast, right?
As we dropped him off at camp last Sunday, I snapped off many photos but this one was the first. There is something about the look in his eyes that makes me want to just hug him just one more time! Oh sure, it could also mean "Stop it mom you are embarassing me" but I would like to just imagine that he is saying "Goodbye mom. I know you will miss me but I'm going to have fun! When I come back, I will have so many new experiences to share with you and it will be like you were with me." What I can say is that I'm so proud that I can give my children this experience. It's something I know they will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message or question. I will do my best to get back to you.