Friday, August 14, 2009

{sunsets}


This was one of my last sunset pictures taken last November. It's one of my favorite pictures not only because it is of a special family but because it is such a powerful image that illustrates God's love. Let me try and explain... I found out this morning that my friend's husband lost his battle with skin cancer. You can read about Nathan's Story here. As I helped care for their kids this a.m. so my poor friend could take all the calls and necessary arrangements she needed to, I tried to make sense of such a tragic loss...4 young children and only 28 years old. I mean why? Why does this happen to such nice people? I was told that my friend's husband was a brave man and fought hard but I kept thinking to myself... it just wasn't in God's plan for him. As I was preparing this picture to be sent off for enlargement for his funeral, I looked at the sunset they faced with much more appreciation. The sun reminded my of God's grace and love. When we face tragedy we are not alone. He asks us to turn and face him...depend on him. We will all face sunsets and sunrises in our lives but what matters is how we face them. When we face those sunsets in life and embrace God's unconditional love for us it is only then that we experience his mercy. For God never gives us more than we can handle. He never leaves us. He knows our weakness and our breaking points and he knows how we suffer. So my prayer for my friend and her family is that they turn toward God right now. I ask that He help heal their broken hearts through this difficult time.
{Side Note}
I am not a perfect Christian. I don't pretend to be either. I don't talk about God or pray to him near enough nor do I attend church like I think I should. But I do know this... and I share this freely...I have experienced God's grace in my own life and it was only by loving him and leaning on him and living my life the way he wants me to, that I experienced the awesomeness of HIS love.

1 comment:

  1. I just sat here reading about your beautiful friend... My heart is so heavy for her and her kids... It takes courage beyond words to remain strong during times like these. Only God can get us through it. He will give her comfort in those moments when she feels lonely and sad. I look back at the times right after I lost my dad and I realize that He did carry me through it. I will be praying for her and her babies... Love you friend, Monica.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message or question. I will do my best to get back to you.