Sunday, March 6, 2011

{Self Portraits}

When I turned 40 a few years ago, I became super self conscious about how I looked on film. The camera tells no lies when it comes to laugh lines and wrinkles and believe me, I have plenty! So the idea of taking close ups were pretty scary for me. It's probably one of the reasons I have so few closeups of myself. It's been on my mind that I need to step in front of the camera and just get over all that. When I woke up today, I had no intention of taking photos of myself but the yummy diffused light in my studio was beyond great so I was actually kind of excited to seize the moment and just do it. I enlisted the help of my youngest son to see what we could capture. He actually took all of the pictures but I helped set up the exposure settings. He also had to practice on finding the right focus points but other than that his natural eye for composition is what made these as great as they are. At 9 years old, I think he's just a phenom! Hmmm...I wonder who he got that from? Now don't get me wrong, there were plenty of bad ones and yes, I did soften some wrinkles in photoshop but they are still there (just zoom in!) but at the same time, it's still me. I think every professional photographer should get on the other side of the lens from time to time. It's a humbling experience. After all, if you can't see the beauty in yourself, how can you see the beauty in your subjects?
Are you are interested in a mini portrait session?
Call or email me for details
tonya@designsbytonayr.com






1 comment:

  1. All of these self-portraits are lovely.......

    t

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message or question. I will do my best to get back to you.